Soups & Salads
Cold Beet Soup (Šaltibarščtiai)
1 quart jar prepared borscht with strips of beets
1 medium cucumber, sliced
3 to 4 radishes, sliced
Dill and chives
1 teaspoon grated onion (optional)
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
2 envelopes (.14 ounces) beef or chicken broth powder
2 to 3 tablespoons sour cream
1 cup buttermilk
3 to 4 hard-boiled eggs for garnish
- Pour part of borscht over sliced cucumber and radishes in bowl or serving dish. Season with chopped dill and chives to taste.
- Add lemon, sugar, broth powder, sour cream, and buttermilk to liquid remaining in the borscht bottle, and shake well with lid
- Add bottle mixture to bowl. Let stand in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Slice or quarter hard-boiled eggs and serve in or alongside the soup.
White Salad (Balta Mišrainė)
- Combine all the ingredients; toss with mayonnaise.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Red Beet Salad ( Burokeliu Misraine)
- Cook beets or bake in oven.
- Add minced onion and pour dressing over both.
- Let stand 2 to 3 hours before serving to let dressing soak into beets.
This recipe is from Maria Gieysztor de Gorgey. Art of Lithuanian Cooking. Hippocrene Books INC. (New York) 2001